REACH deals with the Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemical substances, and entered into force on June 1, 2007. The aim of REACH is to further improve the protection of human health and the environment through the better and earlier identification of certain chemical substances. It is legislation from the European Union, and applies to all suppliers (inside and outside Europe) that want to sell, import or manufacture chemicals and/or products containing certain chemicals in the European Union.
Edelman BV supports the objective of REACH to further improve the European Union's regulation on chemicals, including the aim to advance public health and safety and to protect the environment. The limited number of chemicals that we import ourselves has been entered into the pre-registration process already (when needed). Additionally, we have requested our component or finished products suppliers to provide us information on the relevant chemicals in their supplied products. This enables us to provide our customers and consumers with information about so called substances of very high concern (SVHC) from the candidate SVHC list of the REACH regulation, as required by article 33 of REACH (if those are present in a concentration of more than 0.1% of the weight of a product).
Edelman BV collects declarations for RoHS, REACH, and any other restricted and declarable substances legislation through detailed substances reports.
Edelman BV REACH Declaration related to substances in articles
The below table indicates which substance(s) of very high concern (SVHC) may be present in Edelman BV products above the threshold level of 0.1% by weight of the listed article. Based on our current knowledge and current supplier information, no other SVHC are present in our articles.
|Edelman Product category||Edelman Product category Substance of Very High Concern||CAS Number||Comments|
|Cables and other PVC-based components of electric and electronic equipment||DEHP, bis(2- ethyl(hexyl)phthalate||117-81-7||This substance may be present in separately sold PVC cables and PVC cables or parts along with the appliances|
What is DEHP?
DEHP is a substance that is used as a plasticizer to make PVC plastic soft and flexible. It is a colourless and odourless organic chemical.
Where is it used?
Plasticisers are essential to make PVC flexible. PVC is rigid by nature but plasticisers give it similar properties to rubber: it becomes flexible and expandable, whilst retaining its shape.
There are many different plasticisers available but a manufacturer of PVC will make what they believe to be the best choice for their particular products.
DEHP is widely used because for many years it has provided particularly good processing and end product performance which in many cases cannot be matched by alternatives.
Is it safe?
The use of DEHP has been carefully considered by EU scientist and it is already well regulated by European legislation relating to toys and childcare articles, cosmetic, food contact materials and medical devices.
Indeed, DEHP has been used for more than 50 years without a single known case of anyone having been harmed as a result. DEHP is not classified as a human carcinogen or mutagen and it does not accumulate in humans or in the environment. Our products are approved according our standard safety regulations before they are put on the market, and pose no safety risk during normal use.
I am a customer of Edelman, what should I do if I receive a question from a consumer regarding the SVHC contact of a Edelman product?
You have the obligation to inform the consumer within 45 days regarding the SVHC content of the products.
Why is DEHP on the REACH Candidate List?
Substances are placed on the Candidate List for authorisation based on their potential to cause harm (their hazard) rather than on any actual risk they may pose. In the case of DEHP, it has been put on the candidate list due to reproductive effects that have been seen during tests on rodents. However, as these effects are only seen at levels much higher than humans are usually exposed to, there is no danger from its use in most everyday PVC products.
Will Edelman (pre-) register the chemicals that it imports?
Edelman intends to (pre-) registering chemical substances imported by Edelman.
What is the difference between RoHS and REACH regulation?
RoHS restricts the use of six substances in products. REACH currently obliges communication downstream in the supply chain regarding SVHC substances in products. We have banned the six substances from our products as required by RoHS Directive, and communicate in this way to our customers regarding the SVHC content of products.
Where can I find more information?
The DEHP Information Centre: www.dehp-facts.com. More information about REACH and Substances of Very High Conern can be found on the website of the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) : www.echa.europa.eu
Safe use instructions / Sicherheitshinweise / Consignes de sécurité / Istruzioni per la sicurezza / Instrucciones de seguridad / Instructie voor veilig gebruik.
- 1. Do not use any solvent-containing products on the article – solvents may dissolve the substance.
- 1. Keine lösungsmittelhaltigen Produkte am Artikel verwenden, den Lösungsmittel können die Substanz freisetzen. 1. Ne pas appliquer de solvant sur l'article, car ils pourraient dissoudre la substance SVHC.
- 1. Non utilizzare sull'articolo prodotti contenti solventi, in quanto i solventi potrebbero liberare la sostanza.
- 1. No utilizar en el artículo ningún que contenga disolventes, pues los disolventes pueden liberar la sustancia.
- 1. Gebruik geen oplosmiddel houdende producten op het artikel – door oplosmiddelen kunnen bepaalde SVHC vrijkomen.
2. The article does not pose other health risk under reasonably forseeable use and abuse conditions.
- 2. Es bestehen darüber hinaus keine gesundheitlichen Risiken bei vernünftigerweise vorhersehbarer Verwendung bzw. Fehlgebrauch des Artikels.
- 2. L'article ne présente aucun danger pour la sante s'il est utilisé, correctement ou pas, dans des conditions normales ou raisonnablement prévisibles.
- 2. Oltre a questo non sussistono pericoli per la salute in caso di utilizzo ragionevolmente prevedibile o di utilizzo improprio dell'articolo.
- 2. Por lo demás no existe ningún riesgo para la salud bajo condiciones de uso, correcto o incorrecto, razonablemente previsibles.
- 2. Het product vormt geen gevaar voor de gezondheid onder normaal of redelijkerwijs te verwachten gebruik.